Walls...It's Demolition Time!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a builder. Yes, I said it - I. Am. A. Builder. Which makes sense, I'm a daughter of a builder. While I was growing up, my Dad's favorite phrase was, "Keep your tools on you!" (In other words, have them at your side so you're not wasting time looking for them! That's what they made tool belts for.) While I'm not helping my dad build these days, still I find myself occasionally on a building project of a different sort. I'm sure you do as well. Of fine furniture? NO! Beautiful homes? Absolutely not. I am a professional WALL BUILDER! (There, I said it! Not proud of it. Admission, the first step to recovery.) I find that whenever I allow stress or anxiety to get the best of me, I frantically start building. And friend, the walls can go up in a matter of seconds (Which would be great if I were building a beautiful home!) and there they stand straight and anchored  down tightly...except, they're right smack-dab in the middle of my heart. Have you related yet? Do you build too?
Why do we build walls? I suppose most of the time it's to protect ourselves; just like we live in houses to protect ourselves from the elements outside. However, just as walls protect us from danger or what we deem "harmful", they also can keep good, wholesome things from getting in. Think about it, without a door, friends and loved ones couldn't come into your home. However, in the home of our heart, things like love, peace, joy, forgiveness, and relationships may have a hard time finding an entrance if your heart is surrounded nothing but walls. No, some walls are not good for us! Building walls can cause us to lose faith...but we're human, so it happens. Scripture tells us to "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7) What assurance! God is our refuge and fortress! He can and will protect us if we have faith in Him. He always knows what's best for us too.
Like I said, I'm a daughter of a builder - times two. Jesus, the Master Builder builds with extremely accurate detail and excellence. There is no flaw in Him. In Him, I can rest safe and secure, knowing that He is my protector, my shield. I don't have to worry because I know He is able to take care of me. I don't have to rely on my wall building skills to do the trick. (Now, if I can just transfer that information from my brain to my heart. What about you?) It's easier said than done, true. But learning and growth are all part of this Christian walk, aren't they? It's normal and expected. One step at a time...
So take the challenge with me today...let's have a demolition party and begin tearing down walls we've erected in the past. Even if we've torn walls down in the before, something - a memory of, or a similar incident - can be triggered within us and we are immediately tempted to begin a building frenzy all over again. We might have to apply this concept often until we have learned it; but next time we feel the hammering begin, let's stop and take notice, then pray. It would be kind of like obtaining a "building permit" before we begin on one of those building projects. 
Right now, let's RENOVATE! Let's consciously begin opening up our hearts for MORE by creating an "open floor plan" that God can work with. I'm sure we'd all be surprised at the plans He has for us, as well as the ways He intends to use past heartache and the scars we bear in our heart for His glory! Let's have a new plan...and much improved...by hiring the best architect around - JESUS! Now, let the demolition begin...let's speak to our walls, "Come down!"

Dear God, help me to recognize those ugly walls that seem to 
find their way into my heart when I am caught off guard.
You are my refuge and I can cast all my anxiety upon you. Help
me to learn to trust in you and allow you to make all 
things beautiful. Help me to allow you to work
through my "mess" and allow the message of 
your handiwork to speak loud and clear
to those I come in contact with.




Comments

Post a Comment

As always, feel free to leave a comment. It's all about us joining together to encourage one another.