Smile On Purpose

While they might not be on today's Top 10 list, there have been some great songs written down through the ages.  They still carry meaning and they will pop into your mind at times.  Thus the phrase, "Oldie but goodie!"  This morning I woke up with an old one on my mind...Shut In With God. 
Shut in with God in a secret place
Here in His presence, beholding His face
Gaining new power to run in this race
I long to be shut in with God
Now...I imagine you'll find yourself humming this oldie somewhere throughout  your day.  (You know how that happens...can't get it out of your head.)  The most obvious part of this song is about being in the presence of God; but, I wanted to take another spin on it today as it crossed my mind.  The words "beholding His face." 
I don't know about you, when someone sends a smile my way, it makes me feel good.  It's a simple gesture but an oh-so-powerful one.  (I will add here, a gesture I continually have to remind myself to use!  ;) There, I did it!  I have to work harder at times than others! lol  Keeping it real!!!)  Smile - to look with favor or approval.  I don't know about you, but if you're a normal human, there is an inborn desire in you to have favor and approval.  It's as natural as wanting an ice cream cone on a hot summer day!  OK, back to the song..."beholding His face"...when I think of looking into God's face - I think of Him smiling at me.  There's nothing more beautiful than this mental picture.  How can we think about it without being encouraged and uplifted, without "gaining new power"? 
While it's a  wonderful thing to share a smile and it be returned by someone you love, how much more is it to gain the smile of God?  The One that matters more than anyone else!  What a thought...God is smiling at YOU today.  Will you return His smile?  You might ask how...here are just a few ideas.
1) send up your praise,
2) do something kind for someone without expecting anything in return,
3) share His love story with someone new
How many times have you been walking through a store or restaurant, you smiled at someone and they immediately smiled back?  It happens often...it is a gift.  A simple one we can give over and over.  It makes both parties feel good - the smiler and the return-smiler.  :)   It's a small thing which can be done without much effort yet it has the power to change someone's day.  I challenge you (and myself) to smile on purpose today.  At least 3 times today...find someone to smile at and see what happens in return.  Allow your smile to give someone the courage to keep going today....which makes me think of yet another oldie, "God has smiled on me, He has set me free..." my friend, this could go on all day. 
Blessings on you...and the persons you smile at today :)

Comments